As a parent, you want to stay informed on digital kid-raising resources that keep it straightforward and mindful. You’re paying attention but you want to focus that time and attention toward resources and information of real value and authority.
So, to save you some time and eye strain, I’m highlighting one of my Knowsaic favorite sources. As a parent and librarian, I’m a huge fan of Common Sense Media . I’m especially excited as a researcher to see resource favorites cited by other like minded thought leaders in digital parenting, digital literacy and citizenship. Following the chain of citations and references is a wonderful journey of discovery.
The video here is is all of these things – re-posted (cited) by Edutopia, The George Lucas Educational Foundation for the Digital Generation Project, this work Common Sense Tips for Digital Generation Parents highlights five practical pointers from Common Sense Media to help parents understand and engage in the digital connectivity and habits of their kids.
Give these thought provoking take-aways some reflection VIA the Edutopia Digital Parenting page:
1. Calm Down: Do you think adults are too concerned about online safety? Does this concern overshadow the benefits of technology?
2. Embrace Their Digital World: What can you do with your kids right now to better understand their digital world?
3. Find Balance: How can you help kids balance their time on different technologies?
4. Provide Alternatives: How can we encourage our kids to disconnect from the digital world without taking away their independence?
5. Be the Parent: What values are the most important to teach to kids living in the Digital Generation? What are some specific ways to teach those values?